Good day! I have here a low carb meal plan plus grocery list for you to try at home so you need not worry about what to prepare and eat for the rest of the week.
Before I go further let me share what ketogenic & low carb diets are all about.
Ketogenic diet basically restricts the carbohydrate intake to less than 20 grams net carbs per day. This is to make the body undergo ketosis wherein fat is used up as the main energy source instead of carbohydrates.
LCHF diet is also carbohydrate restricted but the carb allowance per day is between 30 to 50 grams or even up to 100 grams. This diet counts total carbs (fiber+sugar) instead of net carbs (sugar only) and includes more fruits or vegetables varieties.
Both diets/lifestyle avoid sugar, sugary products, rice, grains, bread, starchy vegetables and most fruits. Both diets have high fat consumption to compensate for the carb restriction but still ensuring that your daily energy requirement is maintained. It also let you have that feeling of fullness so you don’t feel hungry in between meals.
Now, going back to the meal plan:
I try to include easy cook meals that uses minimal ingredients but still packed with flavour. You only need to cook twice per day – your bacon & eggs for breakfast and your dinner which will also be your lunch for the next day.
Each low carb recipe makes 4 servings, so it’s good for 2 persons. You can share it with your Low Carb Buddy, with your partner, mate or bestie. You can also keep the meat in the freezer and have it for another week (you just need to buy fresh veggies on your next shop).
You can start any day of the week but make sure you have plenty of time on Day 1. You need time to do your grocery, pre-prep & store meal ingredients on that day.
Sunday (or your Day 1) is meal preparation day. I put ready roasted deli chicken on the menu. In case you got tired from all the slicing, chopping, bagging & storing, at the end of the day, you already have a ready made hot meal for you. Of course you can always make it from scratch, everything is up to you.
Here is a guide to follow to succeed in this challenge:
Meal Prep on Sunday (or Day 1)
- Prepare everything that needs to be sliced, marinated & stored in 1 day. Keep in freezer and remember to thaw out in fridge 1 day before actual cooking day. This will help you save time and ensure you won’t go hungry or get tempted to eat carb rich food.
- Slice & marinade your chicken & pork. Store in freezer.
- Season and crumb your fish in coconut flour, egg & dessicated coconut. Store in fridge if you’re cooking it on Monday (or Day2)
- Make your burger patties. Store in freezer.
- You can also bake bacon one time & store in fridge in an airtight container.
Salads and Snacks to Go
- Portion out your salad greens, nuts, cheese, celery & cucumber sticks for the week
- Store in fridge/pantry & just grab & go in the morning
Dinner tonight is Lunch tomorrow
- Don’t forget to portion out your lunch after cooking.
- Cool down, store in your fave lunch box & store in fridge ready for tomorrow.
- Saves up time & energy & money (no excuse for take-aways)
Switching meals is OK
- You can switch meals any day, you can even mix and match the vegetable sides, if you feel like it.
- Or if you notice that the vegetables are already looking a bit limp or sad in the fridge, go ahead and use it first.
Don’t forget your Leftovers
- If you have leftovers, store it in the fridge in an air-tight container. Label with the recipe name & date prepared. It’s good for at most 3 days in the fridge.
- You can schedule a leftover day midweek. That means you don’t need to cook for a day & your weekly meal is now stretched for 8 days.
- You can also try to stir-fry the leftover vegetables at the end of the week. You might discover a new recipe you can add to your meals.
Remember to stick to these guideline & you’re one step ahead of your health & wellness &/or your weight loss goals.
If you tried the meal plan for a week, don’t forget to leave a comment or email me on how it went for you. Also if you have any questions, tips or suggestions, please I would love to hear it. For sure, it will help others trying out the Low Carb Lifestyle as well.
Along with the meal plan, I have included a grocery list for you to refer to when you go out shopping. Just remember to check your fridge, freezer & pantry first for things you already have. It’ll save you money & storage space as well.
Nearly all the recipes in this meal plan are can be found in my site. Just click on the links below. If you have any questions, comment below or email me & I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Happy shopping & enjoy your meals!
1 Week Meal Plan
Everyday Bacon & Eggs (cooked your way)
Lunch / Dinner (Dinner tonight will be Lunch tomorrow)
Sunday (Dinner) Roasted Chicken with Easy Garden Salad
Monday Crumbed Fish Fillet and Coleslaw
Tuesday Pan Grilled Sriracha Chicken & Beansprouts
Wednesday Pan Fried Porkchops with Buttered Green Beans
Thursday Thai Style Pan Grilled Chicken with Broccoli Stir-fry
Friday Low Carb Cheeseburger with Easy Garden Salad
Saturday Chicken Adobo with Egg & Tomato Salad
Drinks & Snacks
Coffee, Tea & Water • 1/4 cup roasted nuts • 2 portions sliced cheese • celery & cucumber Sticks
Meat/ Poultry/ Fish/ Egg
1 whole Roasted Chicken • 600 grams Fish Fillet • 500 grams Streaky Bacon
1 tray Eggs (30 pcs) • 1.2 kg Boneless Chicken Thighs • 1kg thin sliced Porkchops
600 grams Beef Mince • 750 grams Bone-in Chicken Thighs
2 Lettuce Heads • 1 large bag of Salad Greens • 2-3 telegraph cucumbers • 8- 10 tomatoes
5 Onions • 1 head of Cabbage • 1-2 pieces carrots • 1 bag beansprouts • 4 garlic heads • 2 lemons
600g GreenBeans • 1 bundle Coriander Leaves • 4 Broccoli • 1 whole celery (or celery sticks)
Apple Cider Vinegar • Cooking Oil (i still use rice bran oil) • Sriracha Sauce • Fish Sauce
Soy Sauce • Oyster Sauce • Char Siu Sauce • Olive Oil • Roasted nuts (almonds, peanuts)
Gherkins/pickles • Coconut Flour • Desiccated Coconut
Butter • Salad Dressing (of your choice) • Mayonnaise • Cheese Slices • Milk (for your coffee/tea)
Herbs & Spices
Bayleaf • Coriander, Dry • Broth Cubes • Turmeric • Salt • Pepper • Chili Flakes